You are here:   Sigma Alpha News
Register   |  Login
View Article

On November 14, 1913, five young ladies attending Longwood Academy in Chicago, Illinois formed a “secret club” whose foundation was friendship.

The yellow tea rose was selected as the official flower. Sorority colors of brown and gold were chosen and the acorn of the great oak tree became symbolic of growth and strength.

Sigma Alpha Sorority became a National Sorority of five chapters on June 22, 1917, when a charter was granted in the State of Illinois. Over the years, Sigma Alpha’s growth has surpassed our Founder’s vision.

Sigma Alpha’s dedication, love and commitment over the years led to a seat on the Board of Trustees of Heartspring as well as receiving the Dr. Martin F. Palmer Humanitarian Award on June 8, 1971.

Sigma Alpha is proud to have a Diamond Award member and many Golden Award and Silver Award members. These 75 year, 50 year, and 25 year members speak volumes of the sustained fellowship and field of service for which Sigma Alpha is dedicated.

spacer